Back to top
The Data Protection 2018 and the UK GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) gives people the right to know what information is held about them, and requires the University to ensure that personal information is handled properly.

Data Protection at the University of Surrey

We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945 and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted at

The University of Surrey holds and processes information about many different types of people such as its current, past or prospective employees, applicants, students and alumni. It also processes personal information for a variety of reasons. The University may also be required by law to collect and use certain types of personal information to comply with statutory requirements.

 What rights do you have in the way we process your data?

 As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.

You have the right to:

  • Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
  • Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to gain access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing. (Known as a Subject Access Request)
  • Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
  • Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
  • Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
  • Obtain your personal data for reuse.
  • Object to certain processing of your personal data.

If you would like to exercise any of your rights please visit our make a privacy request section.

Make a complaint

If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.